Monday, January 28, 2013

A Miniature Rose Bush & Stew


Yesterday was perfect in the way that only gloomy Sundays can be.    I went to the grocery store to get ingredients for stew - it doesn't call for anything fancy - and it's simplicity is the sort of meat and potatoes goodness that is healthy but still filling.   I was also excited to find a miniature rose bush in the prettiest light pink.  The perfect find to brighten up a dreary day.  Rose bush and groceries in tow, I headed home to make my stew.

Stew has always been my favorite meal to have when the weather gets chilly.
This is my grandma's recipe that my mom always made us growing up and this was my first time attempting it.  It was easy, and turned out perfectly.  I made it on the stove, but you can make it in a slow cooker as well.

Ingredients:
1 lb stew meat or round steak cubes
1 can beef consomme
1 yellow onion chopped
4-5 carrots
2-3 potatoes

Directions:
Shake the meat in flour until it's coated.
Brown the meat.
Add the can of consomme, 3/4 cup of water, and the onion to the meat and let simmer 1 hour.
Add the potatoes and carrots and simmer one more hour.

By the time the stew is done, the meat and vegetables will be coated in a delicious gravy.  For a more thin gravy, cook for less time.  Serve with crusty French bread and enjoy.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment