Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Cool Weather, Warm Apple Crisp

Apple crisp is one of those delightful little foods that has the ability to take me back in time.  My grandma always made it to accompany our kulberwurst dinners and there is something about that chewy crust,  buttery apples, and savory cinnamon that is the epitome of comfort food.  My mom made it for me the last time I was home and I knew that this was a recipe I had to master.   This was my great aunt and great grandmother's recipe and I couldn't believe how simple it was.  Paired with a cup of hot tea, there is no better indulgence on a blustery, autumn afternoon.   

Ingredients:
- 5 to 6 apples (I used Fuji) peeled and sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 stick butter, melted & cooled
- cinnamon 

Directions:
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, & salt.
- Add the egg to the above mixture.  It should turn into a crumbly consistency.
- Line the bottom of an 8 x 8 pan with your apples.
- Cover the apples with the mixture, and create furrows (small divets so the butter doesn't run to the sides).
- Sprinkle the top with cinnamon.
- Poor butter onto the top, evenly coating it.
- Bake at 350 degrees until apples are thoroughly cooked and top is golden. The time can vary, but I cooked mine about 40 minutes.
- Serve with whipping cream, ice cream, or half and half.  






Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm that looks seriously delicious Brittney! I am totally stealing this recipe for my Christmas baking file :)

    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete