Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Whispies & Beach Hair

Kate Moss in beach hair.


Brigitte Bardot might just be the Queen of Beach hair.


Claudia Schiffer rocking messy waves before it was a trend.

So just last week I mentioned how in love I am with the slightly messy, beachy, and almost frizzy hair that models and fashionistas have been wearing lately.   It puts me in mind of Kate Moss (the early years) when she made fashion headlines for showing up on red carpets looking flawless - with the exception being a head of hair that looked...well, post-coital.   This further backs up my argument that fashion should be interesting - who wants to look at a girl who is perfect?  How boring.   That's why I'm excited to try beach-worthy, slightly messy hair with my most polished of outfits.  After doing a little research, this is what I found out about achieving the look.

DIY Sea Salt Spray: I found a very cool way to make your own salt spray to get your hair the perfect texture for messy waves.  In a clean spray bottle, combine 8 fl oz. water, 1 tsp finely ground sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon conditioner, a dab of cheap hair gel, and shake until mixed.  You can experiment with this too by adding different essential oils. It all depends on your hair type - if you have a sensitive scalp add ylang ylang, if you're skin in naturally oily try some tea tree oil. I found this recipe on Glamour.com and will definitely be trying it!

Frehs Out of the Sea:  My hair is stick straight, so to get those messy waves, I have to put in a lot of effort.  I start with damp hair and spritz on a texturizer (like the one above) or I use Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray.  Then I braid my  hair in about four or five braids, making sure I start braiding at the top of my head.  Then, to avoid looking like Medusa, I pin the braids to the top of my head.  I let them air dry. Once dry, I gently unravel the braids.  I apply some hair powder (I use Big, Sexy Hair Powder) to my roots.  I sort of massage it in and lift at the crown.  I'll also play with the hair around my face (divide the pieces, curling them slightly around my finger) to try and get them to a little separated and achieve some "whispies".  Then I'm good to go.

A Lil Fancier:  If I want to dress the look up, after I do my whole routine (above) I'll take a 1 1/2 curling iron and slightly curl the strands around my face.  I wind my hair around the barrel of the curling iron and it creates a "ropy" effect that although still messy, looks a little more put together.  If you have naturally frizzy or curly hair, this can eliminate some frizz as well.  I'll also finish the look off with a hairspray that's light and allows hair to move - I love Moroccan Oil's Luminous Hair spray.



Moroccan Oil Luminous Hair Spray, $27
Big Sexy Hair Volumizing and Texturixing Powder, $11
Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray, $23
Pantene Pro V Flat to Volume Shampoo and Conidition $4.56 each




Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. ooh great post, i love these DIY and tips. whispy hair has always been difficult for me too since I have thick black asian hair. when I do want it though, i've also found that braiding it while it's semi wet and letting it loose an hour or two later seems to work. =)

    ~Fae
    http://www.rosypop.com

    ReplyDelete